HOME > About Nagasaki University > Historical Sketch

Historical Sketch

On November 12, 1857, Dutch army surgeon Pompe van Meerdervoort initiated medical lectures in the Dutch language to government doctor Ryojyun Matsumoto and 11 other persons. This medical school called Igaku Denshusho is the origin of today's School of Medicine as well as Nagasaki University.

Date Content
1857.11 Igaku Denshusho was established
1860 Yojosho (Sanatorium) was established for citizens with the facilities for the hospital, chemical, pharmaceutics, library, autopsy, and clinical training. (origin of today's University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry)
1861.9 Yojosho (Sanatorium) was improved and Igakusho was built next to it. (Facilities for medical education institution were completed.)
1865 Yojosho (Sanatorium) was renamed Seitokukan School of Medicine. In October, Bunseki Kyurijyo (educational institution to teach basic science including physics and chemistry) was established.
1868.10 Seitokukan School of Medicine was renamed the Nagasaki City School of Medicine.
1869 Nagasaki City School of Medicine was renamed Nagasaki Prefectural School of Medicine.
1871.10 The Ministry of Education held jurisdiction over Nagasaki Prefectural School of Medicine and changed its name to National Nagasaki Medical School.
1874 Due to troop deployment in Taiwan, education function of National Nagasaki Medical School was discontinued whereas hospital function was transferred to the branch hospital.
1874.2 National Nagasaki Normal School was established.
1874.3 Nagasaki Elementary School Teacher Training Center was established.
1875 Due to the completion of troop deployment in Taiwan, buildings of the branch hospital were transferred to Nagasaki Prefecture.With a subsidy from the Japanese government, Nagasaki Hospital was established.
1875.2 Nagasaki Elementary School Teacher Training Center was renamed Training Center.
1875.11 Elementary School affiliated with National Nagasaki Normal School was established.
1876.1 Training Center was renamed Training Center for Elementary School Teacher.
1876.5 Training Center for Elementary School Teacher was renamed Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School.
1876.6 Nagasaki Hospital Medical Training Center was established in Nagasaki Hospital to resume medical education.
1877.4 Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School was renamed Kiyo Normal School.
1878.1 Nagasaki Hospital Medical Training Center was renamed Nagasaki Medical School.
1878.2 National Nagasaki Normal School was discontinued. Its buildings and equipment were transferred to Nagasaki Prefecture.
1878.6 Kiyo Normal School was renamed Nagasaki Normal School.
1879.1 Nagasaki Medical School became prefectural and had Nagasaki Hospital become its affiliated school.
1883 According to the Ordinance of the Ministry of Education, Nagasaki Medical School was designated as a Class A medical school. (Medical license could be granted after graduation without taking national examinations. Only 13 such schools existed in Japan.)
1884.6 Nagasaki PrefecturalWomen's Normal School was established.
1886.4 Nagasaki PrefecturalWomen's Normal School merged with Nagasaki Normal School and established itsWomen's Branch.
1886.6 Nagasaki Normal School,Women's Branch established its affiliated kindergarten.
1886.6 According to the Normal School Ordinance, Nagasaki Normal School was renamed Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School for Primary Education.
1887.8 According to the Higher Middle School Ordinance, the Fifth Higher Middle School, Department of Medicine was established. Nagasaki Medical School was discontinued in September.
1890.6 The Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in the Fifth Higher Middle School, Department of Medicine. (origin of today's School of Pharmaceutical Sciences)
1891.9 The Fifth Higher Middle School, Department of Medicine and its Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences were relocated to a new building in UrakamiYamazato-mura, Nishisonogi-gun. (origin of the later establishment of Sakamoto Campus)
1894.9 According to the Higher School Ordinance, the Fifth Higher Middle School, Department of Medicine and its Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences were renamed the Fifth Higher School, Department of Medicine and its Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, respectively.
1898.4 According to the Teacher Education Ordinance, Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School for Primary Education was renamed Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School.
1901.3 According to the Specialized School Ordinance, the Fifth Higher School, Department of Medicine became independent from the Fifth Higher School and established Nagasaki Specialized School of Medicine as well as its Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1903 Nagasaki Prefectural Nagasaki Hospital Training School for Nurses was established.
1905.3 Nagasaki Higher Commercial School was established. (origin of today's Faculty of Economics on Katafuchi Campus)
1908.4 Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School,Women's Branch became independent from Nagasaki Prefectural Norman School and established Nagasaki PrefecturalWomen's Normal School.
1917.5 The Department of Overseas Trade was established in Nagasaki Higher Commercial School.
1920.11 Research Building was donated to Nagasaki Higher Commercial School. (today's Keirin Hall)
1921 Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training for Vocational Supplementary School Education was established in Isahaya-machi.
1922.4 Nagasaki Prefecture donated Nagasaki Hospital to the Japanese government. Nagasaki Hospital was renamed Hospital of Nagasaki Specialized School of Medicine.
1922.4 Nagasaki Specialized School of Medicine Training School for Nurses and Midwives was established.
1923.3 Nagasaki Specialized School of Medicine was promoted to Nagasaki Medical College by the National Medical College System and established its Specialized School of Medicine and Specialized School of Pharmaceutics.
1923.3 Hospital of Nagasaki Specialized School of Medicine was renamed Nagasaki Medical College Hospital and established its Training School for Nurses and Midwives.
1925.4 Nagasaki Medical College, Specialized School of Medicine was discontinued.
1928 The Department of Fisheries was established in Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training for Vocational Supplementary School Education. (origin of today's Faculty of Fisheries)
1929.2 Nagasaki Medical College Hospital Training School for Nurses and Midwives was renamed Nagasaki Medical College Hospital Training School for Midwives and Nurses.
1929.3 The Advanced Course of Trade was established in Nagasaki Higher Commercial School.
1929.12 Nagasaki Medical College Nomo Marine Biological Laboratory was established.
1935.4 Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training for Vocational Supplementary School Education was renamed Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training forYouth School Education.
1937.4 Nagasaki prefectural Normal School was relocated to a new building in Nishiurakami-mura, Nishisonogi-gun. (site of today's Elementary School and Lower Secondary School affiliated with the Faculty of Education)
1939.5 Nagasaki Medical College Temporary Specialized School of Medicine was established.
1942.3 Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training forYouth School Education,Women's School was established in IsahayaWomen's High School.
1942.4 Nagasaki Medical College East Asia Research Institute of Endemics was established. (origin of today's Institute of Tropical Medicine)
1942.9 Nagasaki Higher Commercial School Research Building was renamed Great East Asia Economic Research Institute.
1943.4 According to the Normal School Education Ordinance, Nagasaki Prefectural Normal School and Nagasaki PrefecturalWomen's Normal School were merged to establish National Nagasaki Normal School and was promoted to specialized school category.
1944.3 Nagasaki Higher Commercial School was renamed Nagasaki Specialized School of Economics.
1944.4 Nagasaki Specialized School of Economics established Nagasaki Specialized School of Industrial Management on its campus.
1944.4 According to the Normal School Education Ordinance, Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training forYouth School Education (Men's Branch andWomen's Branch) became National NagasakiYouth Normal School, and was promoted to specialized school category. Nagasaki Prefectural School of Teacher Training forYouth School Education, Department of Fisheries was discontinued.
1944.4 Nagasaki Medical College Temporary Specialized School of Medicine was renamed Nagasaki Medical College Specialized School of Medicine.
1945.6 Nagasaki Medical College Hospital Training School for Midwives and Nurses was renamed Nagasaki Medical College HospitalWomen's School of PublicWelfare.
1945.8 The atomic bomb was dropped in Nagasaki City. A total of 979 teachers and students were victimized: 897 from Nagasaki Medical College (including Specialized School of Medicine and Specialized School of Pharmaceutics), 54 from Nagasaki Normal School, 27 from Nagasaki Higher Commercial School, and one from NagasakiYouth Normal School.

History of Reconstruction after the atomic bombing is as follows.

Date Content
1946.4 Nagasaki Specialized School of Industrial Management was discontinued. Great East Asia Economic Research Institute was renamed Institute of Industry Management.
1946.4 Nagasaki Medical College East Asia Research Institute of Endemics was renamed Nagasaki Medical College Research Institute of Endemics.
1947.3 Nagasaki Medical College Specialized School of Medicine was discontinued.
1947.5 Nagasaki Higher School (under the old system of education) was established.
1948.4 NagasakiYouth Normal School, Department of Fisheries was reestablished.
1949.5 Under the National School Establishment Law, Nagasaki University merged with Nagasaki Medical College, Nagasaki Medical College Specialized School of Pharmaceutics, Nagasaki Specialized School of Economics, Nagasaki Normal School, NagasakiYouth Normal School, and Nagasaki Higher School to create a new University. It then established five faculties; Arts and Sciences (Course of Elementary School Teacher Training, Course of Lower Secondary School and High School Teacher Training), Economics (Department of Economics and Department of Commerce), Medicine (School of Medicine), Pharmaceutical Sciences (School of Pharmacy), and Fisheries (Department of Fisheries, Department of Marine Products Processing, and Department of Fishery Stock Enhancement), one library, and the Research Institute of Endemics. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine further set up the Elementary School, Lower Secondary School, Kindergarten, Hospital, and Nursing School.
1950.3 Nagasaki Higher School was discontinued.
1950.5 The Departments of General Education in Omura and Nagasaki Campuses were restructured to establish Nagasaki University, Omura Branch.
1951.3 Junior College of Business was established.
1951.3 Nursing School was established in the School of Medicine.
1951.3 Nagasaki Medical College Specialized School of Pharmaceutics, Nagasaki Specialized School of Economics, Nagasaki Normal School, and NagasakiYouth Normal School were discontinued.
1951.6 The Department of Student Advising on Public Welfare Matters was renamed the Student Advising Department.
1953.3 The Faculty of Arts and Sciences was relocated to Ohashi-machi, Nagasaki City. (today's Bunkyo Campus)
1953.4 The Special Advanced Courses were established in the Faculty of Fisheries.
1954.4 Nagasaki University, Omura Branch was renamed Nagasaki University Extension Campus.
1954.4 The Advanced Course was established in the Faculty of Economics.
1955.4 Research Division System was introduced into the School of Medicine.
1955.4 Graduate School of Medical Sciences was established.
1955.4 School of Midwifery was established in the School of Medicine.
1956.1 The Student Advising Department was renamed the Student Services Department.
1956.4 The Advanced Course was established in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1960.3 Nagasaki Medical College was discontinued.
1960.4 The Advanced Course was established in the Faculty of Fisheries.
1962.4 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute was established in the School of Medicine.
1964.4 Faculty of Liberal Arts was established. (Extension Campus was discontinued)
1964.4 Construction of the training ship “Nagasaki-Maru” of the Faculty of Fisheries was completed.
1965.3 The Advanced Course in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was discontinued.
1965.4 Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established.
1965.4 The Advanced Course was established in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
1966.4 Health Center was established.
1966.4 The School of Engineering (Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering) was established.
1966.4 Faculty of Arts and Sciences was renamed the Faculty of Education. The Advanced Course in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was renamed the Advanced Course in the Faculty of Education.
1967.4 School for Handicapped Children Teacher Training Course was established in the Teacher Education Division, Faculty of Education.
1967.4 The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was established in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1967.4 The Department of Structural Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1967.6 Research Institute of Endemics was renamed the Institute of Tropical Medicine.
1967.6 The Fisheries Laboratory was established in the Faculty of Fisheries.
1968.4 The Department of Trade was established in the Faculty of Economics.
1969.4 The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1969.12 Electric Computer Center was established.
1970.4 The Advanced Courses in the Faculty of Fisheries were discontinued. (The Advanced Courses in Fishing, Fish Production, and Fish Breeding were discontinued, leaving in operation only the Advanced Course in Officer Training, with its name changed to the Advanced Course in Deep-sea Fishing.)
1970.4 Graduate School of Fisheries was established.
1970.4 The Department of Materials Science and Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1971.2 The libraries were restructured. (Branch libraries of the Faculty of Education, the Faculty of Fisheries, the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and the Institute of Tropical Medicine were discontinued while branch libraries of the Faculty of Economics and the School of Medicine were still continued.)
1971.4 School for Handicapped Children was established in the Faculty of Education.
1971.4 The Department of Commerce, Faculty of Economics was renamed the Department of Management.
1971.4 The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was established in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1971.4 The Advanced Courses (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Structural Engineering) were established in the School of Engineering.
1972.4 The Department of Industrial Chemistry was established in the School of Engineering.
1972.5 Atomic Bomb Medical Information Center was established in the School of Medicine.
1972.5 Medicinal Plant Garden was established in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1973.4 The Departments of Fishing, Fish Production, and Fish Breeding of the Faculty of Fisheries were restructured to establish the Department of Fisheries.
1973.4 The Advanced Course in Civil Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1973.4 Educational Engineering Center was established in the Faculty of Education.
1974.4 The Departments of Fishing, Fish Production, and Fish Breeding of the Graduate School of Fisheries were restructured to established the Department of Fisheries.
1974.4 The Advanced Course in Materials Science and Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1974.4 The Kindergarten Teacher Training Course was established in the Teacher Education Division, Faculty of Education.
1974.4 Atomic Bomb Medical Information Center was renamed the Scientific Data Center for Atomic Bomb Disaster.
1974.4 The Reference Room for the Tropical Medicine was established in the Institute of Tropical Medicine.
1975.4 Construction of the training ship “Kakuyo- Maru” of the Faculty of Fisheries was completed.
1975.6 Drainage Analysis Center was established.
1976.4 The Department of Electronic Engineering was established in the School of Engineering.
1976.4 Graduate School of Engineering Science was established.
1976.4 Shimabara Joint Training Center for National Universities in Kyushu Area was established.
1977.4 The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the Graduate School of Engineering Science.
1977.4 The Advanced Courses (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Structural Engineering) in the School of Engineering were discontinued.
1977.4 The preparatory office for founding of the School of Dentistry was established.
1977.4 The Department of Commerce, Junior College of Business was renamed the Department of Commerce and Economics (Economics & Law and Management Information).
1978.3 RI Center was established.
1978.4 The Department of Mechanical Engineering II was established in the School of Engineering.
1979.4 Animal Research Center for Tropical Infections was established in the Institute of Tropical Medicine.
1979.4 The Branch Library of the School of Medicine was renamed the Medical Library.
1979.5 Information Center was established (Electric Computer Center was discontinued).
1979.10 The Department of Dentistry, School of Dentistry was established.
1979.10 The preparatory office for founding of the School of Dentistry was discontinued.
1979.11 Drainage Analysis Science Center was established. (Drainage Analysis Center was discontinued.)
1980.4 Laboratory Animal Center for Biomedical Research was established in the School of Medicine.
1980.4 The preparatory office for founding of the University Hospital of the School of Dentistry was established.
1981.4 The Department of Electronic Engineering was established in the Graduate School of Engineering Science.
1982.4 University Hospital of the School of Dentistry was established.
1982.4 The preparatory office for founding of the University Hospital of the School of Dentistry was discontinued.
1982.4 The Divisions of Economics & Law and Management Information, Department of Commerce and Economics, Junior College of Business were reorganized into the Divisions of Economics, Economic Law, and Management Information.
1983.4 The Department of Mechanical Engineering II was established in the Graduate School of Engineering Science.
1983.4 The preparatory office for founding of the School of Allied Medical Sciences was established.
1983.4 International House was established.
1984.4 School of Allied Medical Sciences (Department of Nursing) was established.
1984.4 The preparatory office for founding of the School of Allied Medical Sciences was discontinued.
1984.4 Junior College of Business was renamed the Junior College of Commerce.
1984.4 18 divisions of the Department of Fisheries, Faculty of Fisheries were reorganized into six large ones.
1984.10 The Departments of Physical Therapy and Work Therapy were established in the School of Allied Medical Sciences.
1986.4 Nursing School, School of Medicine was discontinued.
1986.4 Graduate School of Dentistry was established.
1986.4 The Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences were restructured to establish the Department of Medical Pharmacy (Master's and Doctoral courses).
1986.4 The Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences were restructured to establish the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1986.4 Center for Practical Education Research and Training was established in the Faculty of Education. (Educational Engineering Center was discontinued.)
1986.6 Center for Measurement Analysis was established.
1986.6 Center for International Student Advising was established.
1986.9 Environmental Protection Center was established. (Drainage Analysis Science Center was discontinued.)
1987.4 The School of Midwifery, School of Medicine was discontinued.
1987.4 The Department of Marine Science and Development was established in the Graduate School of Engineering Science (Doctoral course).
1987.4 The Diploma Course (Midwifery) was established in the School of Allied Medical Sciences.
1988.4 Graduate School of Marine Science and Engineering was established (Doctoral course).
1988.4 The Department of Marine Science and Development was transferred from the Graduate School of Engineering Science to the Graduate School of Marine Science and Engineering.
1988.4 The Departments of Electric Engineering and Electronic Engineering of the School of Engineering were restructured to establish the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
1988.4 Information Science Center was established. (Information Center was discontinued.)
1989.5 Institute of Tropical Medicine was promoted to the National Collaborative Institute.
1990.4 The Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering U of the School of Engineering were restructured to establish the Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering.
1990.6 Joint Research Center was established.
1991.4 In the Faculty of Economics, eight divisions of the Department of Economics were reorganized into three large ones; eight divisions of the Department of Business were reorganized into two large ones, and six divisions of the Department of Trade were reorganized into two large ones of the Department of Finance.
1991.4 In the School of Engineering, four divisions of the Department of Structural Engineering were reorganized into two large ones; four divisions of the Department of Civil Engineering were reorganized into two large ones; four divisions of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering were reorganized into two large ones; and four divisions of the Department of Industrial Chemistry were reorganized into two large ones of the Department of Applied Chemistry.
1991.4 Radioisotope Research Center was established. (RI Center was discontinued.)
1992.4 The Departments of Electrical Engineering and Electronic Engineering of the Graduate School of Engineering Science were restructured to establish the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
1993.4 Education and Research Center for Life-long Learning was established.
1994.4 Graduate School of Education was established.
1994.4 The Advanced Course in the Faculty of Education was discontinued.
1994.4 The Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering U of the Graduate School of Engineering Science were restructured to establish the Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering.
1994.6 10 divisions of the Institute of Tropical Medicine were reorganized into three large ones.
1995.4 Graduate School of Economics was established.
1995.4 The Advanced Course in the Faculty of Economics was discontinued.
1995.4 The Department of Industrial Chemistry of the Graduate School of Engineering Science was renamed the Department of Applied Chemistry.
1996.5 International Student Center was established. (Center for International Student Advising was discontinued.)
1997.4 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute was established in the School of Medicine. (Atomic Bomb Disease Institute and Scientific Data Center for Atomic Bomb Disaster were discontinued.)
1997.4 Marine Research Institute was established in the Faculty of Fisheries. (Fisheries laboratory was discontinued.)
1997.4 Tropical Information Center was established in the Institute of Tropical Medicine. (The reference Room for the Tropical Medicine was discontinued.)
1997.10 Faculty of Environmental Studies was established.
1997.10 Faculty of Liberal Arts was discontinued.
1997.10 The Departments of Economics, Business, and Finance of the Faculty of Economics were restructured to establish the Department of General Economics.
1998.4 The Elementary School Teacher Training Course, Lower Secondary School Teacher Training Course, Disabled Children's School Teacher Training Course, and Kindergarten Teacher Training Course of the Faculty of Education were reorganized into the Teacher Education Division and the Information Technology and Cultural Studies Division.
1998.4 The Divisions of Physical Education and Home Economics were established in the Department of Curriculum & Teaching, Graduate School of Education.
1998.4 The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of the School of Engineering was reorganized into the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering and the Department of Computer and Information Sciences.
1998.4 Center for Instrumental Analysis was established. (Center for Measurement Analysis was discontinued.)
1999.4 The Department of Clinical Pharmacy was established in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1999.4 The position of Vice President was established. (Director of the Student Services Department was discontinued.)
1998.4 The Student Affairs Department was established in accordance with the merger of the Administration Bureau with the Student Services Department (Student Services Department was discontinued).
2000.4 The Divisions of Social Studies Education and Natural Science Education were established in the Department of Education, Graduate School of Education.
2000.4 The Department of Infectious Research was established in the Graduate School of Medical Sciences.
2000.4 Graduate School of Science and Technology was established.
2000.4 Gene Research Center was established.
2000.4 Junior College of Commerce was discontinued.
2001.4 The Department of Marine Production and the Department of Marine Resource of the Graduate School of Marine Science and Engineering were reorganized into the Department of Marine Science and Technology and the Department of Material Science, respectively.
2001.4 Center for Education Research and Training was established. (Center for Practical Education Research and Training was discontinued.)
2001.4 Research Center for Tropical Infectious Diseases was established in the Institute of Tropical Medicine. (Tropical Disease Information Center was discontinued.)
2001.4 One large and 31 small divisions of the School of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine were reorganized into six large ones.
2001.10 The School of Health Sciences was established in the School of Medicine.
2002.4 Graduate School of Environmental Studies was established.
2002.4 Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was established.
2002.4 Research and Development Center for Higher Education was established.
2002.4 Admission Center was established.
2002.4 Six large divisions of the School of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine were reorganized into four large ones.
2002.4 18 small divisions of the Department of Dentistry, School of Dentistry were reorganized into three large ones.
2002.4 Four large divisions of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences were reorganized into two large ones.
2003.4 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute and the Medicinal Plant Garden were transferred from the School of Medicine to the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
2003.4 Center for Frontier Life Sciences was established. (Radioisotope Research Center, Gene Research Center, and Biomedical Research Center were discontinued.)
2003.10 University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry were established (University Hospitals of the School of Medicine and the School of Dentistry were restructured).
2004.4 Nagasaki University was established by the Nagasaki University, National University Corporation under the National University Corporation Law.
2004.4 The Department of Managerial Decision Making was established in the Graduate School of Economics (Doctoral course).
2004.4 The Departments of Policies for the Human- Environmental Symbiosis (Master's course), Environmental Conservation and Planning (Master's course), and Environmental Science (Doctoral course) were established in the Graduate School of Science and Technology.
2004.4 The Diploma Course in the Faculty of Fisheries was discontinued.
2004.4 Intellectual Property Center was established.
2004.12 Information Media Center was established. (Information Science Center was discontinued)
2004.12 Joint Research Center was established. (Joint Research Center, Center for Instrumental Analysis, and Environmental Protection Center were discontinued.)
2005.4 The Headquarters for Planning and Evaluation was established.
2005.4 Center for International Collaborative Research was established.
2005.4 Institute for East China Sea Research was established. (Marine Research Center, Faculty of Fisheries was discontinued.)
2005.4 Center for Total Human Education and Child Welfare was established. (available for a limited time only)
2005.4 School of Allied Medical Sciences was discontinued.
2006.2 The Department of Marine Science and Technology, Graduate School of Science and Technology was discontinued.
2006.4 Master of Tropical Medicine and Master of Health Sciences were established in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
2006.4 The Department of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was reorganized into Pharmacy (six-year program) and Pharmaceutical Sciences (four-year program).
2006.5 Graduate School of Dentistry was discontinued.
2006.7 Nagasaki University Organization for Cooperation of Industry, University, and Government was established.
2007.2 Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was discontinued.
2007.3 Graduate School of Environmental Studies was discontinued.
2008.4 The Information Technology and Cultural Studies Division of the Faculty of Education was merged into the Teacher Education Division.
2008.4 The Department of Teaching Skills Development and Practice (Master's Course) and the Department of Teaching Training and Practice (Professional Degree Program) were established in the Graduate School of Education.
2008.4 Graduate School of International Health Development was established.
2008.4 Center for Infectious Disease Research in Asia and Africa and Tropical Medicine Museum were established in the Institute of Tropical Medicine. Research Center for Tropical Infectious Diseases was discontinued.
2008.4 Health Center was reorganized into the Center for Health and Community Medicine.
2009.4 University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry was restructured and renamed University Hospital.
2009.10 Center for Gender Equality was established. (arailable for a limited time only)
2010.4 Master's Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
2010.4 Center for Public Relations Strategy was established.
2010.4 Center for International Collaborative Research Nagasaki University Tokyo Office was established.
2010.4 Advanced Computing Center was established.
2010.11 Center for International Collaborative Research Nagasaki University Tokyo Office was restructured to establish Nagasaki University Tokyo Office.
2011.4 School of Engineering's seven Departments (Mechanical Systems Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Computer and Information Sciences, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Applied Chemistry) were restructured into one Department, Engineering.
2011.4 Graduate School of Science and Technology was restructured to establish Graduate School of Engineering and Graduate School of Fisheries Science and Environmental Studies.
2011.4 Institute of Tropical Medicine's three Departments were restructed into four Department
2011.4 Institute for East China Sea Research was restructured to establish Institute for East China Sea Research affiliated with Graduate School of Fisheries Science and Environmental Studies.
2011.4 Center for Total Human Education and Child Welfare was discontinued.
2011.6 Center for Industry, University and Government Cooperation was established. (Intellectual Property Center Joint Research Center and Education and Research Center for Lifelong Learning were discontinued.)
2011.12 Research Promotion Section was established.
2012.1 Medical Innovation Center was established.
2012.4 Master and Doctoral courses of Pharmaceutical Sciences were established in the Graduated School of Biomedical Sciences.
2012.4 The Graduate School of Medical Sciences closed.
2012.4 Center for Language Studies was established.
2012.4 Research Center for Nuclear Weapons Abolition was established.
2012.12 Center for Regional Educational Partnerships was established.
2013.4 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute affiliated with Graduate School of Biomedical Science was restructured to establish Atomic Bomb Disease Institute attached to Nagasaki University.
2013.7 Animal Research Center for Tropical Infectious was discontinued.
2013.8 Student Accessibility Office was established.
2013.10 Liaison Center for International Education was established. (International Student Center was discontinued.)
2013.10 Center for Educational Innovation was established. (Research and Development Center for Higher Education was integrated with Admission Center.)
2014.4 Center for Research Promotion Strategy was established. (Research Promotion Section was discontinued.)
2014.4 School of Global Humanities and Social Sciences was established.
2014.4 Department of Teaching Training and Practice, Graduate School of Education was reorganized. (Department of Teaching Skills Development and Practice was unified into Department of Teaching Training and Practice.)
2014.4 Center for Information and Communication Technology was established. (Information Media Center was discontinued.)
2014.4 Research and Support Center for the Future of Fukushima was established.
2014.9 Center for Promotion of Collaborative Research on Radiation and Environment Health Effects affiliated with Atomic Bomb Disease Institute was established.
2015.4 School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health (Master's course) was established. (Graduate Scool of Biomedical Sciences, Master of Tropical Medicine and Graduate School of International Health Development were restructured.)
2015.4 Department of Environmental Science (Master's course) was established in the Graduate school of Fisheries and Environmental Sciences. (Department of Policies for Human-Environmental Symbiosis and Department of Environmental Conservation and Planning were restructured.)
2015.4 Institutional Research Office was established.
2015.9 Center for Gender Equality was restructured to Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
2015.10 Center of Community Development was established.
2016.4 Division of Disaster and Radiation Medical Sciences(Master's course) was established in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
2016.4 Division of Advanced Preventive Medical Sciences(Doctoral course) was established in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
2016.4 Headquater for Nuclear Disaster Response and Preparedness was established.
2016.4 Organisation for Marine Science and Technology was established.
2016.4 Institute for East China Sea Research on Graduate School of Fisheries and Environmental Sciences was restructured to Institute for East China Sea Research in Organisation for Marine Science and Technology.
2016.10 Center for Child Mental Health Care and Education was established.
2017.4 Comprehensive Support Center for Regional Eduction was established. (Center for Regional Education Partnerships was integrated with Faculty of Education Center for Education Research and Training.)
2017.4 Institute of Biomedical Sciences was established.
2017.4 National Research Center for the Control and Prevention of Infectious Diseases was established.
2017.6 Center for Advanced Preventive Medical Sciences was established in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.