About Nagasaki University
Nagasaki University contributes to the improvement of a well-balanced society by transmitting its inheritance of the traditional culture rooted in Nagasaki, cultivating a fertile creative sense in students, and developing innovative science for world peace.
Fundamental Targets of the University
Nagasaki University, located in a region that geographically faces the Asian Continent across the East China Sea, possesses the history and memory of Dejima and is invested with a unique mission by the atomic bombing. To honor the special history and carry forward its mission, Nagasaki University seeks to develop new values and human resources with outstanding personal qualities capable of contributing to the sustainable development of a rapidly changing modern world and local community, on the basis of its unique features and tradition that have been nurtured for many years. For the promotion of bold innovations and reform under the leadership of the president, Nagasaki University has specifically set the following objectives for the Third Mid-term Target Period:
- To become a world-class center of “global health” education and research that contributes to human health on a global scale through interdisciplinary integration of preventive medicine, health economics and other related areas, building on our outstanding achievements in the areas of tropical medicine, infectious diseases, and life sciences and radiation research.
- To significantly improve the overall excellence of the entire university across all disciplines to establish a foundation for becoming one of the world’s best universities by promoting the sophistication and internationalization of every education and research area, enhancing the collaboration with top-level universities inside and outside Japan, reforming management, operational and personnel systems, and appropriately rearranging university resources.
- To develop Nagasaki University-brand human resources who have both the ability to address local community issues and the ability to be active on the international stage where multiple cultures co-exist by promoting strategic and comprehensive educational reform for the realization of international-level education, internationalization of the campus, and a dramatic increase in the number of Japanese students studying abroad in order to respond to the needs of the globalizing society.
- To develop, especially in undergraduate education, excellent and unique graduates capable of immediately responding to the issues they face based on the problem-solving ability, creative thinking ability, communication skills and other abilities expected of graduates as well as knowledge and excellence in their respective areas of expertise. To achieved this by organically integrating new student-participation-centered liberal arts education and world-standard specialized undergraduate education. Moreover, to proactively develop and introduce a new method to select new students to measure basic and versatile abilities and qualities in order to effectively connect the new university education with the reform of high school education.
- To serve as the driving force of regional revitalization in the age of globalization as a community-based university by staying close to the needs of the community and providing the benefits of the results of education and research to the local administration, industry, health and medical services, education, and tourism. Moreover, to focus on and promote especially the education and research in the specific areas that will greatly contribute to the sustainable development of the community and get directly connected to global-scale issues, including marine energy, marine biotic resources, water environment, community welfare and medicine, and abolishment of nuclear weapons. Finally, to strengthen the collaboration with Fukushima that has been maintained since immediately after the Great East Japan Earthquake in order to contribute to the creation of the future for Fukushima.